Looking for Portable Toilets, ADA Toilet Height and Elongated Toilets for Disabled? We Got yah!
Last updated on June 13th, 2020 at 03:48 am
The disabled just like any other person have a right to access toilets and clean ones for that matter. Different designs of toilets have come up to make it easier to go for their nature calls. Different toilets have come up with ease of use and an infusion of different specificities to enable hygiene and comfort.
Best Toilets for Disabled At HomeWe looked at the best toilets for people on wheelchairs at home. They would require portable commodes, those with bidets for people unable to wipe well, elongated toilets as well as those that meet the ADA height requirement. Here is a summary.
|Toilets with Bidets for those unable to Wipe their Bums||Portable Toilets for Disabled at Home (Commodes)||ADA Height Toilets|
|These toilets have bidets to help disabled wipe with ease.Good for obese or people who like using bidets||Good for people on wheelchairs or those who cannot make it to toilet||Good for those on wheelchairs or people with back pain, hip or knee replacement|
|Bio Bidet IB835 Fully Integrated||Nova Folding Commode||Toto ADA Toilet Height|
|Kohler Toilet with Aqua Piston Flush Technology||Medline Heavy Duty Padded Drop-Arm Commode|
Toilets for disabled have features such as self wiping bidets for those who have trouble wiping their bum after emptying their bowels. There are others which are self flushing so that the person does not have to work their way to the latch to flush after use–the toilet will detect that there is no longer someone using it and therefore flush itself. Others are constructed in such a way that it will be easy to place the wheelchair underneath them so that the handicapped person can leisurely move from wheelchair to the toilet seat without so much hassles.
Self-wiping Toilets for disabled
Bidets have come a long way to help bariatrics who cannot reach their bums without tools such as the bottom buddy or the freedom wand to wipe themselves. The good thing about the bidet is that you are always assured of a good clean. It is not like toilet paper that does not adequately do the job. So other than recommending the family cloth or adult flushable wipes, then the bidet is most probably the thing that I will tell you to use.
Bio Bidet IB835 Fully Integrated
Most disabled people have discovered the no wipe but wash revolution and have come to stick with it. So they are all looking for quality bidet toilet seats for disabled people.
The Bidet Toilet System has a complete set inclusive of a bidet seat and a toilet. It is also eco-friendly in that it uses less electricity and less toilet paper hence efficient. The dual nozzle compacted to it favors the patient by providing a posterior wash improving the hygiene. The technology behind it is amazing having the oscillating wide and clean with a bubble fusion.
- Customers have enjoyed using this toilet saying it provides comfort and it is easy to install.
- As much as it has excellent designs, the reviews show that the bio bidet does not flush poop and makes it very uncomfortable, not to mention the water pressure that some say is pathetic and its quite expensive.
The Kohler K-3754-0 Kelston Comfort Height Two-Piece Elongated 1.6 GPF Toilet with Aqua Piston Flush Technology and Left-Hand Trip Lever
This is another attractive fusion of technology with an elongated bowl giving more room for comfort. Its easier to sit and stand without any trouble.
- Compared to others the Kohler has a powerful flushing with different sizes for the young and old. Cleaning it up is easy and it rarely clogs like other toilets.
- Some of the complaints are that some don’t come with the lid and sometimes the seat as it comes as a different purchase making it a bit more expensive.
2. Portable toilets for disabled at home
When working at the hospice, I have stumbled over cancer patients who cannot move because doing so is very painful. In such cases, we try to make their movements as minimal as possible. Even when it comes to toileting. Portable toilets for disabled in the form of commodes have proved to be of great assistance. We will review a couple here.
Nova Folding commode
The different designs available have also included the portable toilets for the disabled. The Nova folding commode comes with a splash guard/bucket/lid. It has amazing features like a durable frame making the cleaning time to be easy. This toilet can also be used as a stand-alone. You can comfortably place it by the bedside or over an existing toilet having the lid and handle for both options. The ease of it is that it can unfold in seconds making it more reliable and efficient storage. With this feature its easy to travel with it and it has different specifications according to customer needs.
- The reviews on the seat state that the commode is stable and can hold up to persons with 220llbs meaning its able to support a lot of weight and the pricing is fair according to the value of it. The toilet is sturdy with strong rails for support.
- Customers have also complained insisting that the seat is very uncomfortable with the sharp edges and a little narrow between the arms. The seat being raised gives some of the disabled a hard time because of different injuries for example the knee.
Medline Heavy Duty Padded Drop-Arm Commode
The Medline has an arm swing out of the way making it easier for lateral transfers on and off the commodes. It has padded commodes with different measurements according to customers preferences.
The non-padded commodes are also available with different weight capacities so that john who is obese can be able to use it perfectly without worrying about his weight
The width between the arms has also been regulated making it a standard model
- Tracy who got an accident and is now using a wheelchair prefers this model because the transfers are easy. She can be able to help herself without much assistance. It also gives her the privacy she needs
- The commodes is very convenient because it does not make the legs slide. It’s used for shower too in some cases hence makes the whole cleaning up easier.
- The padded seats and the drop-down strong arms with an adjustable height is exactly what my patient needed because it reduces the movements and cleaning is easier and efficient.
- Its easy to pack and assemble, the portability allows my patient to travel with it, the bucket having a top with the toilet adapter work very well.
- The chair feels sturdy and safer than any other model my patient has used before. Its also worth the money.
- Using the commode sometimes brought up a little spillage and this could be unsightly. The situation is remedied by putting a mat under it. it was noted that the receptacle was not adequate for the seat hence needs few adjustments.
- The lid with the handle slips out and falls right into the commode, they were not tightly fixed forcing my patient to use only one side. Wiping out the urine every time this happens due to a poorly designed receptacle is quite discouraging.
- The bucket doesn’t line up, has to be adjusted every time. It doesn’t fit properly especially for an adult man, maybe its easier for women but when sliding the bucket towards the front, it leaves a gap at the back, if you slid it to the gap then it also leaves a gap at the front, this gap issue is a nightmare.
- The manufacturer made the chair very narrow, the one we ordered for my paraplegic patient complains it’s a bit too tight on the thighs. It would easier if the back rest just goes further back and if the adjustables are fitted it would be easy,
- Its awkward and quite uncomfortable when it comes to the wiping part. Trying to reach under with the hand for my patient is very difficult.
Drive Medical Folding Bedside Commode Seat with Commode Bucket and Splash Guard
This item is powder coated steel welded combined with plastic arms for comfort. It also has a commode bucket with a carry handle a cover and a splash shield. The seat has various dimensions with adjustable arms. The weight factor has also been considered and for this case it has hold up to 350lbs.
It also has plastic snap on seats that are very durable.
- This model opens easily and folds for both storage and transportation. The lids install without any push buttons. The seat gives enouph space to adjust as my patient helps herself.
- As the caregiver it can be placed on the bedside, making my patient with stroke easy to go for her nature calls, my patients like the soft blue color and its very sturdy as well. Makes shower time for my patient easier.
- Godfrey had a knee replacement a week ago and this toilet has been really helpful.it adjust to heights as required, the great quality of this toilet has definitely come in handy.
- For Dave, a hemo dialysis patient, still undertaking treatment says its easy to fold and hide from sight when not in use and the legs adjusts well.
- The seat was made with a thin plastic and it seems not to hold much weight over time, the small circumference on it makes everything a bit too tight for my patient. It can be very uncomfortable sometimes.
- The model is very flimsy and uncomfortable for some of the patients, the manufacturer should consider the sizes of the seat.
- Instructions manual were missing making it hard to assemble and match up some parts of the seat. Installation was difficult because of some misguided information according to the site.
- The bucket had some stress dents which indicates that there will be stress lines on it leading to leakage. The spillage causes on the floor is quite a disappointment considering the amount of money used to purchase the toilet.
- Julia had a foot surgery recently and she found out that its hard to get up and down the toilet, she needs help every time.
NOVA Folding Commode, Over Toilet and Bedside Commode, Comes with Splash Guard/Bucket/Lid
The nova comes with adorable features like the versatile folding commode which can be used a stand-alone toilet commode. It fitted with a splash guard with a lid and handle for both options.
It has a durable steel frame with adjustable width between the arms, seat dimensions and the weight.
- The nova folding commode unfolds in seconds hence easy to store and travel, the legs are very adjustable with push buttons for raising and lowering the seat.
- The frame of this toilet has a backrest with the seat and lid snapping into place. This design is efficient to allow the user help himself with ease.
- The technology infused in it makes it easy to clean and its stable and ample for large persons up to 300lbs. With the lid in place, it prevents odors.
- The commode is also flexible as it can be raised higher when needed without compromising safety or stability. This makes it a good fit for people with back pain and are looking for toilet seat risers. The construction behind it is lightweight so it is easy with movement from one room to another.
- The collection container is wide enough with a lid making it easy for waste disposal. Its sturdy and nice to use.
- The arms of the nova are a bit narrow in some instances for guys who are a bit plump. My patient complains that the seat edges are a bit sharp making it a bit uncomfortable especially after undergoing a surgery.
- The commode does not align sometimes due to the extension at the far back that pushes the set forward. My patient finds it inadequate and regulating this often is too tiring.
- The model needs clips to keep the bucket from sliding, its loosely fitted hence it slides.
Medline Guardian G30213-1F Deluxe Bedside Commode/Toilet Seat/Safety Rails – All in One
This model is as flexible because it comes with a commode a 3 in 1 and a folding. It allows patient mobility and safety.
- The seat is very comfortable especially after my patient had a hip surgery, its light weight and sturdy.
- When its places against the wall its very stable.
- There’s isn’t much to put together with this model. Its efficiently used just as it is. The toilet also makes the perfect bedside commode. Karen does not strain every time she’s pressed during the night.
- The installation takes like three minutes and very clean.
- The legs are adjustable the way you ant it, its height can also be raised and lowered as needed.
- The bucket has a handle and a lid, so it’s easy to carry and dispose waste without any odor. Very convenient indeed.
- The plastic pads blue in color are good and lines well with the bucket incase of any leaks, it has a reasonable pricing to anyone with limited income.
- The Medline guardian also has its limitations. Being a caregiver, this model has a small opening and sometimes there are accidents because of this.
- Wiping becomes difficult even when having tools recommended for wiping. Some of the product descriptions is quite misleading and other caregiver should really look out for the specificities.
- The seat being too small leaves no room for male pars to fit when using the commode.
- The space saving frame for petite persons is uncomfortable because it pinches the skin. For older people who have a fragile skin is very painful. The frame does not support one when transferring from a wheelchair.
- To install the seat properly one has to remove the plastic wrap with scissors making the installation process to be very difficult.
3. ADA Toilet height
According to the American Disability Act, a toilet serving disabled persons should be raised to a minimum height of 17″ and maximum of 19″. This allows the patient to have an easy time in the toilet without straining. It is called the ADA toilet height which is a requirement if you are designing toilets for disabled persons.
The Toto CST744SL#01 Drake 2-Piece Ada Toilet with Elongated Bowl, Cotton White toilet
It is has been fitted with a gmax flushing system, an elongated bowl and a tank set. The chrome tip lever allows an efficient flushing system.
- It has been fitted with powerful features making it durable. These include the flushing system having a wide valve and an extra large siphon not forgetting the massive trap way. With this kind of combination, the cleansing process works with 1.6 gallons of water
- Its applicable in both commercial and residential making it more convenient for the disabled to use.
- Toto is a fast flush because of the large water surface together with the tank lid, the innovations behind it improve the performance,
- Easy installation and great pricing
- We bought the toilet for Churia who says it allows big poop too flush with ease. Churia recently broke her ankle and needed an additional toilet that was easier to access it with a wheel chair, she says it flushes completely unlike the other ones that stained after some time. The tank also refills quickly and it’s quiet.
- For Flippin’s, we ordered this model and it came chipped with some missing parts. The top edge and the lid would not fit perfectly, they would stick out.
- The same3 complaint arose for the tank shattering, making it hard to go for othe4r calls as the seat does not attach evenly.
- The base of the toilet is not symmetrical enough; this irregularity is an indication that it was not inspected by the manufacturer.
- Some parts of the toilets were missing, this was noticed during installation and its too tall for my patient
American Standard 2467.016.020 Cadet Right Height Elongated Pressure Assisted Two Piece Toilet
This toilet has an elongated bowl, a tank, a seat and an ever clean surface.
- The standard American flushes perfectly, the old one my patient used was wouldn’t clear and often flood as a result. This model is a great improvement.
- Packing was great, nothing chipped, missing or broken.
- It was easy to install, less flushing hence saving water
- No need to use a plunger like to unblock it every time compared to the last one
- My patient complains it’s too noisy during flushing
- The gasket that lies between the tank and the bowel is defective in some cases, hence water spills all over the floor when it flushes
- Finding replacements from third parties has been difficult and so is waiting for another one that takes forever to come.
Toto MS992CUMFG#01 Neorest 1.0 GPF and 0.8 GPF 700H Dual Flush Toilet
This model has a flushing system with a double cyclone; it has a skirted decorative piece of a high profile4b tank. The toilet also has an elongated soft close seat with an aerated water spray.
- This toilet has a convenient remote control meaning its technology is efficient
- The toilet seat is having a temper4ature control, so my patient enjoys using it,
- It’s also very efficient for cleaning up my patients bum from the front and back this is done by choosing the temperature of the water, if she likes it to pulsate, oscillate, if you want a hard or a soft stream. The techniques occurs in a way that it cleanses itself off
- This model has an electric eye and opens the lead when you are nearby, some of the water runs through the bowl to avoid any sticking.
- Daniel used it and from the experience says the default opening controlled by the remote is only to lift the seat and the lid and unfortunately it can’t be altered
- Having to lower the lid every time after use is quite tiring and involving
- This model is very expensive
American Standard 2257101.020 2257.101.020 Toilet Bowl, 15.00 in wide x 14.00 in tall x 26 in deep.
The technology behind this model is a combination of a wall hung elongated flushometer valve toilet. Its inclusive of a powerful direct fed siphon jet action and has a fully glazed trapway.
- We installed the toilet for Bruce and it was an easy process.
- It flushes okay and it’s convenient.
- The model didn’t come with some parts. The missing parts had to be ordered and purchased again.
- The flusher and seat should have been installed within the toilet.
- The Sloan valve was also missing making my patient complain about it.
- The oval bolts were not fixed tightly hence falling off.
- If this model comes with a tank with it, it would really be helpful.
PROFLO PF1705HEWH Wall Mount Elongated Toilet Bowl Only
This model has a bowl configuration allowing my patient to choose the tank. The bolt carrier is used for joining the water closet to the support system and finally to the waste drain bowl hence it’s advisable to choose the tank. having a one-year warranty.
It has a durable porcelain material wall mounted bowl designed to pair with a water carrier bracket. This model complies with the standards set by the American with disabilities act for toilets used during installation.
- The fitted elongated ball gives an extra comfort to the user. It is a gravity flush toilet making it easier during cleansing and the drainage is efficient.
- The toilet is up to standard according to the regulations.
- The mounting nuts and the washers are not included in the package, they also require a separate purchase.
- The toilet should have been installed with its own tank to allow it to cleanse itself.
The models discussed have their advantages and disadvantages but it up to to the buyers or the caregiver to find out what suits their patients. The designs behind it are used for different reasons depending with what kind of problem your patient has. Look out for the manufacturers profile and advice. Most of the designs and models need an instruction manual hence this should be placed with them during delivery. The product descriptions should always match the product. There have been incidences where patients fall because of the instability. The leakages that comes with it makes it so hard to clean up. The commodes should also be quite comfortable to use.
Patients with conditions like broken knee, a broken hip that just underwent surgery need some extra support. The arms with should be sturdy and adjustable t support patients with different weights and heights, as most of the designs come with good feature, some patients have also had an ample time to attend to themselves. Its recommended that the companies should continue to improve their techniques to help people living with disability to feel whole again.