If you are here looking for the best toilet seat that will support a heavy person without any wiggle or breaking, then the Big John 1-W oversized toilet seat is a good fit. It can support a maximum weight limit of 1200 pounds, large and luxurious sitting space, hinges that are unbreakable and strong rubber bumpers to hold the seat securely without any wiggling.
We recently had a new patient coming into our elderly home. He is morbidly obese and also recently had a back surgery. During the assessment, the only things that I could think of giving him were a freedom wand since he would not reach his butt to wipe after emptying his bowels , some incontinence guards for the morbidly obese since he was having a problem controlling his bladder and we also made arrangements to have a toilet seat riser since he could not bend that low at the toilet. And then I thought that I was done but how wrong I was !
A week later, he came with his face fallen, his ego badly tortured and reported to me that he had just broken the toilet seat. And that came as the biggest shock of my life because I never knew that obese people could be so heavy as to require heavy duty toilet seats lest they broke your normal standard toilet seat.
So my first instincts was to see the damage that had been done on the toilet seat. And yes, it had given in to his weight; it had crumbled and lay there in pieces—a testament that it could not hold his weight anymore. After this, I consoled him telling him that we would fix everything and that he should not worry. Well, he was somehow heartbroken and embarrassed at the same time that the toilet seat could have gotten broken because of his sheer weight. He even promised to replace the toilet seat but I would not allow him.
Later on, I did some extensive research and found out that our normal standard seats only support a weight capacity of upto 250lbs while this guy obviously weighed about 400lbs. So he needed something stronger. So I scoured through the internet and was lucky to find a few recommendations of the best toilet seats for heavy people.
So let us look at some of the heavy duty toilet seats:
Big John 3 Open Front Toilet Seat
One of the most renowned toilet seats for obese people is the big John 3 seat that can support a maximum weight limit of 1200 pounds. Now with such a weight limit, even the heaviest man according to the Guinness book of records would still not break it up.
Features of the Big John 3 toilet seat
- Extra 2 inches raised above the standard normal seats
- Strong and durable ABS plastic material
- Well contoured at the top for extra comfort
- 19 inches side to side topping so that an obese person seats comfortably on it. This is a good 5″ more than your normal toilet.
- Stainless steel hinges for strength and durability
- Easy installation.
- Has an open front design so that one can reach and wipe themselves comfortably from front to back without having to rise from the toilet seat.
- Ergonomic design that allows you to use the toilet without a feel of back pain
- Sturdy ABS material that has been proved to be durable. If you are looking for a heavy duty toilet seat that will serve you for life, then this should be your pick
- Open front toilet seat design allows you to sit and wipe after emptying your bowel.
- Rubber bumpers at the foot of the seat ensure that it does not wiggle no matter how much turn
- Weight capacity of upto 1200lbs ensure that all are accomodated
- A tad bit too expensive
- It really takes a lot to install. You might require a whole set of tool kits to have it up and running. If you are not a DIY person, you might have to call up someone to help you do it
Big John 1 w for People Who do not want the Open Front Seat Design
Just like the Big John 3W, the Big John 1 w comes with 19 inches side by side width which is about 5 inches more than your normal toilet. It also supports a weight limit of 1200 lbs. It has rubber bumpers that hold the bowl securely and firmly to the ground so that there will be no wiggling or moving about. It is called the big John 1w because it is the original and first ever design that was made by this company. Later on though, they felt that obese people would like to wipe their butts while they are still seated on the toilet seat and therefore came up with the big John 3W. All the other features of the big John 3W are displayed in this 1w though.
The big John 3 w comes with stainless steel hinges that assure you of maximum strength and durability.
- Just like the big John 3w, this design is also very ergonomic
- Durable ABS material
- Contoured design proves very comfortable
- Strong stainless steel hinges ensure that it will not crumble even when a person weighing 1200lbs sits on it
- Takes a lot to install and have it up and running
Big John 6W for those who do not want the toilet lids
For heavy people below 800 pounds who do not want the toilet lids, then the big John 6w is the thing to go for. Another thing that differentiates the big John 6w is that you will find that it does not have stainless steel hinges similar to those found in the big John 1 w and big John 3 w. Nevertheless, it still suffices as one of the best toilet seats for big people.
Features of the big John 6w
- Can support a weight capacity of upto 800 pounds
- Has a width of 19 inches just like the big john 1w and 3w
- Bumpers keep the toilet seat from wiggling when you are using it
- 1.5″ higher than the normal standard toilet seats
- Very durable
- Good fit for people who are overweight but below 800 pounds
- Bumpers ensure that it does not wiggle
- 1.5 inches higher than your standard toilet seats
- Cannot support obese who are heavier than 800 pounds
- Not very strong hinges
- Has no toilet lids
Bath Royale BR283-00
These are elongated toilet seats that boast of a great design plus world-class innovation
It has been made with polypropylene which is a thermal insulator hence, does not conduct heat which makes it warm and soft compared to most of the other toilet seats.
Despite being made from polypropylene, this seat is still stain resistant, non absorbent, has a solid color, cannot warp, fade or peel.
It has also been tested for use by the 400 pounds weights where its lid flex and seat never breaks, cracked or damaged prematurely. This can all be attributed to its 4 dumper durable that distributes user weight evenly.
This toilet seat for heavy person also boasts of having One-Touch Quick Release with one button touch which can easily have the seat detached making it easier for one to clean any dirt, germs or urine which causes odors that come from the seat. With this, your bathroom will always be smelling fresh and clean.
It does feature a soft close that helps in preventing slamming of the lids. All one has to do is press, have a seat and the lid will close by itself when through. You will never have to worry about kids getting pinched after using it.
- Easy to install
- Cleaning it is simple and fast thanks to its quick release feature
- Comes with a two year warranty
- No slam sounds
- Has a very thin lid
- The seat can easily slip since the brackets are not tightly screwed]
The BEMIS 1000CPT is made from solid plastic and does have a capability of heavy duty. Its features which are molded in bumpers are able to hold onto the heavy weight butts.
It comprises of plastic made hinges which makes it easier to open when cleaning and offers relief when trying to get to the underneath to unscrew the bolts which remain part of the toilet. This toilet seat is also known to be very sturdy and available at a relatively fare price.
- It contains four bumpers which are molded in.
- Its twisted hinges are made from plastic which makes unlocking easy.
- Its features can easily be removed making the cleaning process much easier
- No need to pay parts separately as all parts is included in first purchase.
- You can only clean it well using specific cleaning materials which might not be easy to get.
Bariatric heavy duty
Bariatric heavy duty’s design has been made to be very sturdy and capable of supporting up to 650 pounds. It has a sleek construction that features a comfortable handles which make both standing and sitting easier for the seniors and the heavyweights.
The grips on the handles do ensure a completely non slip grasp after every use.
It’s easy to adjust legs makes it possible to customize it to any height that suits you.
It comes complete with a carry handle, a splash shield, cover and 12 quart bucket which makes it a suitable toilet seat for heavy person and the older adults.
Its plastic seat lids can snap quickly and this seat can always be assembled in three easy steps without having to go through any frustrating illustrations or use of complex tools.
This Bariatric heavy duty is also easy to fold up making it easy to store and transport.
- It is possible to replace the damaged individual parts
- It is a large seat that can easily hold up huge amounts of weight
- Using it is easier and it offers non slip safety to its users
- Very little clean up is required if it is used properly.
- The seat is not of high quality
- Pot can easily fall off which can be a bit messy
Elongated Toilet Seats
Being germ free is one of the most important requirements for any toilet seat. Using the elongated toilet seats, it is possible to achieve even more than just being germ free. It is one of the best toil chairs currently available in the market which can offer you great performance and is of excellent quality.
You can rely on this toilet chair when it comes to keeping you comfortable and safe. Whenever you are shopping for a toilet seat, you always have the option of choosing between a plastic and a metal screw type.
The level of performance and need you expect from this toilet seat will guide you on whether to go for one with a plastic screw or metal screw. However, both the plastic and the metal screw types will still be able to offer the comfort you need.
This toilet seat is made from high quality plastic which prevents growth of bacteria and makes cleaning much faster and easy.
It does come with QuietCost feature that helps in preventing seat cover slamming thereby preventing noise.
Be sure of getting impressed with its design which apart from complementing its appearance also offers a comfortable platform.
- Has an ergonomic design for great comfort
- Helps in preventing growth of bacteria
- Prevents slamming of the door
- Can only be used for toilets with elongated design
The process of getting the best toil seat for heavy person can at times be a great challenge due to the huge number of brands and models currently available in the market. However, after going through the products we have reviewed above, you will be aware of the top models to choose from together with the pros and cons that come with every toilet seat.
Buying the best toilet seat for heavy person will ensure you improve your bathrooms overall appearance and that you enjoy a comfortable experience in your toilet.